Colin David Richardson
I have 12 years' experience as a magazine editor, overseeing all aspects of the production process, from commissioning through to final proofs. I worked for the NHS for six years, researching and writing on a range of health issues. I have worked in the charity sector for a number of years. A booklet I edited won a BMA Patient Information Award in 2018. I have contributed articles to The Guardian. My writing encompasses celebrity and political interviews and investigative journalism. I am highly computer-literate.
|Telephone:||020 7732 0104|
See suggested rates:
|Feature writer||Rates: Print media|
|Subeditor or editor||Rates: Sub-editing|
|Commissioning editor||Rates: Print media|
|from the Freelance Fees Guide.|
Profile last updated: 2019-08-15 11:04:12
I am an experienced writer and editor. I am currently contributing to local newspapers and to Insight, the membership magazine of the Royal College of Psychiatrists. I have recently been working with the National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society (NRAS). Medicines in Rheumatoid Arthritis, an NRAS booklet for which I was the lead editor, won first prize in the Long-Term Conditions category at the 2018 BMA Patient Information Awards.
In the course of my career, I have edited Gay Times magazine and the MS Society's membership magazine, MS Matters. I also have produced a wide range of information materials for South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (SLaM) and NHS Camden. My work has included:
- researching, writing and editing patient information booklets and leaflets;
- magazine editing, overseeing all aspects of print production from content planning to final sign-off;
- editing and compiling reports (including conference reports);
- summarising research papers and working with experts, such as neurologists, specialist nurses and university researchers;
- working with people affected by various health conditions, such as HIV infection, multiple sclerosis (MS) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA), to ensure that all publications are clear, accessible, relevant and informative;
- working to the Information Standard and the Accessible Information Standard.
My freelance work has included editing the English subtitles and press materials for several of the films of Monika Treut (Tigerwomen grow wings, Ghosted, The raw and the cooked and Of girls and horses). And I edited a science research paper that is being submitted to Science magazine for publication (Claws, joints, clocks and the evolution of the bird wing, Merijn A.G. de Bakker et al).
I have also worked as a freelance journalist for many years. I have contributed feature and comment articles to The Guardian. Recently, I have been contributing news and feature articles to two local newspapers, The Peckham Peculiar and The Lewisham Ledger. I am also contributing features to Insight, the magazine of the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
I would be happy to take on a variety of commissions, including, but not limited to:
- writing features, including interview features, and news stories for membership magazines and newsletters (whether printed or digital);
- researching and writing new information materials;
- editing and revising existing publications;
- copy-editing or proof-reading material intended for print or digital publication.
I am based in south-east London. I am happy to work at home and also to travel to your offices for meetings as required. I am self-motivated and organised and am used to working to tight deadlines.